- was reaped in the hunger games
- could very well have been a career!
- saw her district partner beheaded
- almost drowned
- became a hunger games victor
- had to see the love of her life be a sex slave and have her used against him
- struggled with ptsd
- almost was reaped a second time
- was tortured in the capitol
- had finnick die after only a brief period of happiness with him
- was pregnant with his son
and still managed to survive
she is not some “poor mad girl” that just serves to make finnick’s story more tragic thank you very much
- She also lost Mags, who was probably like a parent to her. We don’t know what they did to her real family— was it a Haymitch-situation?
- We don’t know what kind of torture she experienced in the Capitol, but she was returned to District 13 in nothing but a bed sheet. You put the pieces together. It’s not pretty.
- They forced her to vote on the Hunger Games for Capitol children— while she was pregnant with Finnick’s child immediately after his death.
- Annie probably heard and/or saw Peeta being tortured in the Capitol.
- Annie raised Finnick’s child alone. Enough said.
Annie Cresta is perhaps my favorite secondary character in the Hunger Games for all of the these reasons, but primarily because she’s a survivor. She survived, against all odds, because in her own quiet way, Annie is strong. She gave strength to everyone around her. And even though everything was taken away from her, she kept living. I think that’s incredible. Annie is further proof that life might not be perfect, but it can always be good again.